Operations in France
Access to pre-pack facilities and marketing channels in France provides Westfalia Fruit with a footprint in the largest avocado-consuming country in continental Europe. French partner Comexa SA ensures the Group maintains a direct link to market requirements in the EU, establishing partnerships that enable the business to address new market developments.
Comexa’s Paris-based facility boasts
cutting-edge ripening and packing technologies, supporting its leading position in
avocado distribution in France. The operation also markets large volumes of subtropical fruit, including mangoes, limes, coconuts, and litchis.
Thanks in large part to the experience of its teams, Comexa is a specialist in ready-to-eat and triggered fruit, providing a daily service from the sources of Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Israel, Kenya, Mexico, Peru, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania and Zimbabwe. Optimum quality is ensured all year round.
Westfalia Fruit supplies two types of avocado cultivar to its customers, depending on the season.
- Greenskin avocados include Fuerte, Pinkerton, Edranol and Ryan.
- When they are harvested, the mature fruit is a green colour and the fruit peel remains green once the avocado is ripe.
- Greenskin cultivars have thin skins, which can be easily peeled when the fruit is ripe.
- Darkskin avocados include Hass, Carmen®-Hass, Gem® and Nature’s Hass.
- They are also green in colour when mature, at the time of harvest. As they ripen, the fruit’s skin turns dark purple to black, indicating ripeness.
- The darkskin’s textured, ‘pebbly’ skin is thicker than a greenskin’s and cannot be as easily peeled. The harder skin protects these avocado cultivars from bruising easily, and facilitates scooping of the flesh with a spoon.
- Darkskins are easy to handle and merchandise, making them the ideal cultivar for ready-to-eat fresh retail fruit.