Operations in the Netherlands
Westfalia Fruit’s Netherlands marketing office was established in January 2004, as part of Westfalia's strategy of moving closer to its customers, linking them with its own production base and those of its international partners.
Westfalia Marketing BV is located in the Maasdijk area of Rotterdam in the Netherlands. In addition to being an expert in avocados, the operation has developed key accounts in Europe for mangoes and other exotics. Its central location in Europe allows for supply across the continent without borders – direct from the farms.
December 2013 saw the launch of the new Euro West ripening facility for
mangoes at Poeldijk in the Netherlands. Run as a joint-venture between Euro West and Westfalia Marketing BV, the facility features state-of-the-art ripening rooms as well as specialised packing facilities for the packaging of fresh and ripened fruit and other produce.
Westfalia Fruit supplies two types of avocado cultivar to its customers, depending on the season.
- Greenskin avocados include Fuerte, Pinkerton, Edranol and Ryan.
- When they are harvested, the mature fruit is a green colour and the fruit peel remains green once the avocado is ripe.
- Greenskin cultivars have thin skins, which can be easily peeled when the fruit is ripe.
- Darkskin avocados include Hass, Carmen®-Hass, GEM® and Nature’s Hass.
- They are also green in colour when mature, at the time of harvest. As they ripen, the fruit’s skin turns dark purple to black, indicating ripeness.
- The darkskin’s textured, ‘pebbly’ skin is thicker than a greenskin’s and cannot be as easily peeled. The harder skin protects these avocado cultivars from bruising easily, and facilitates scooping of the flesh with a spoon.
- Darkskins are easy to handle and merchandise, making them the ideal cultivar for ready-to-eat fresh retail fruit.