Operations in South Africa
Westfalia supplies prime-quality mature avocados year-round to leading retail groups and other customers. Specialising in fresh as well as ready-to-eat, pre-packed
avocado, Westfalia markets other fruit like fresh
litchis and citrus in South Africa, as well as processed products like
guacamole, IQF pieces and
Westfalia Fruit Limited is headquartered in Parktown, Johannesburg, in the Gauteng province of South Africa
Westfalia Marketing SA is the largest exporter of South African avocados and also supplies directly to retailers and other markets
Farming at Westfalia is undertaken using the most modern and sustainable horticultural practices, making us better neighbours
The Westfalia Nursery is fully accredited and world renowned for the provision of good quality clonal root-stocked avocado trees.
We sort and pack avocados and other fruit in our BRC-accredited packhouses.
Westfalia has processed fruit on a commercial scale since 2000, using fruit from Westfalia farms and other selected partners.
Westfalia Technological Services is the largest privately-funded subtropical fruit reserach organisation in the world.
Numerous accredited third-party service providers monitor and audit Westfalia's fruit quality and production standards.
Westfalia Fruit supplies two types of
avocado cultivar to its customers, depending on the season.
- Greenskin avocados include Fuerte, Pinkerton, Edranol and Ryan.
- When they are harvested, the mature fruit is a green colour and the fruit peel remains green once the avocado is ripe.
- Greenskin cultivars have thin skins, which can be easily peeled when the fruit is ripe.
- Darkskin avocados include Hass, Carmen®-Hass, GEM® and Nature’s Hass.
- They are also green in colour when mature, at the time of harvest. As they ripen, the fruit’s skin turns dark purple to black, indicating ripeness.
- The darkskin’s textured, ‘pebbly’ skin is thicker than a greenskin’s and cannot be as easily peeled. The harder skin protects these avocado cultivars from bruising easily, and facilitates scooping of the flesh with a spoon.
- Darkskins are easy to handle and merchandise, making them the ideal cultivar for ready-to-eat fresh retail fruit.
Where to buy our products
Supplying directly from our own world-class avocado farms and from those of our strategic global partners, Westfalia has earned the reputation of providing our clients with superior, organic and conventional, quality fruit all year round. Westfalia Marketing Africa supplies South African avocados directly to retailers and other customers. The product range also includes mangoes, litchis and citrus fruit. WMA is also the largest exporter of South African avocados, mainly to European markets.
A specialist marketing team called Westfalia Fruit Products, located in Midrand near Johannesburg, manages the marketing and logistical functions for Westfalia’s processed products: avocado oils, frozen puree and guacamole, IQF pieces and dried mango.