Operations in the United Kingdom
Greencell, an established fresh fruit and vegetable company in England, became part of the Westfalia Group in September 2008. The company manages over
100 000 tons of fruit per year, sourcing from over 30 countries across all continents with product lines including avocados, apples, pears, kiwis, grapes, stone fruit and a variety of salad and vegetable crops.
Greencell Spalding is a specialist avocado facility with industry-leading, state-of-the-art ripening and grading technology. More than 1000 pallets can be stored in five different cold stores with activities including receiving, storing, ripening, selection, packing and distributing fruit directly to customers.
Spalding’s ‘Holly Lodge’
Greencell has its own dedicated distribution centre in Spalding, in the heart of the vegetable garden of England, from where its nationwide distribution is efficiently organised. A packhouse and warehouse facilities are operated on site, in addition to the technical and exotics-procurement departments.
A complete range of production formats is provided, such as citrus Giro packs, poly-bagging and flow-wrapping. Greencell is also able to develop packaging to meet customers’ specific requirements, including the use of biodegradable packaging material. Spalding also houses a ripening and conditioning section, one of the most specialist areas that allows Greencell to confidently deliver triggered to fully-ripened fruit to customer specifications.
- Precise storage and distribution temperature management
- Conditioning process - humidity ripening by varying time and temperature
- 850 m2 conventional packhouse
- 155 m2 organic packhouse
- 1000-pallet chilled storage
We deliver to our customers the best eating and most consistently conditioned fruit - available year round.
We have an extremely strong worldwide supplier base and offer fruit from non-traditional sources (Chile to New Zealand and Peru), allowing us to maximise eating quality throughout the year. We guarantee consistency of maturity, delivering fruit to exact specifications as far as pressure and eating quality is concerned. We supply the retail sector in addition to catering, processing and wholesale customers.
Westfalia Fruit supplies two types of avocado cultivar to its customers, depending on the season.
- Greenskin avocados include Fuerte, Pinkerton, Edranol and Ryan.
- When they are harvested, the mature fruit is a green colour and the fruit peel remains green once the avocado is ripe.
- Greenskin cultivars have thin skins, which can be easily peeled when the fruit is ripe.
- Darkskin avocados include Hass, Carmen®-Hass, Gem® and Nature’s Hass.
- They are also green in colour when mature, at the time of harvest. As they ripen, the fruit’s skin turns dark purple to black, indicating ripeness.
- The darkskin’s textured, ‘pebbly’ skin is thicker than a greenskin’s and cannot be as easily peeled. The harder skin protects these avocado cultivars from bruising easily, and facilitates scooping of the flesh with a spoon.
- Darkskins are easy to handle and merchandise, making them the ideal cultivar for ready-to-eat fresh retail fruit.
Apples and Pears
Top fruit is a well-established part of our product portfolio. We source from both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres (including England) to deliver a year-round availability on all of the main top fruit varieties.
Over the years we have focused on working with a select group of growers that clearly understand the needs of our customers. On imported fruit we minimise handling in the UK by packing at source, enabling us to deliver fruit to the customers’ exact specifications at most efficient cost.
Oranges, Lemons & Grapefruit |
We have some of the earliest satsumas from Argentina starting in mid-March, two weeks before Uruguay and offering better eating with lower acidity.
We are also one of the last to finish from the Southern Hemisphere, having an extended season through until the end of July from Peru. The Peruvian fruit is recognised for its extremely good eating quality. On the peak of the season our growers in South Africa pick only the best for us. During the European winter we bring satsumas in from the best available sources throughout Spain.