Serves 6 | Gem® Avocado | Avocado Oil
Few things are more South African than a braai (barbeque) and there are many traditional marinades, side dishes and meat dishes to go with it. Sosaties are spicy, marinated meat kebabs, often braaied over the coals. The fresh flavours of the avo salad is the perfect balance to the spiciness.
- 500 g stone ground wholewheat flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 200 ml (80 g) coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh thyme leaves
- 6-8 Peppadews®, thinly sliced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) avocado or olive oil
- 1 x 330 ml can or bottle beer
- 125 ml (½ cup) water
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) poppy, sesame or sunflower seeds
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) mild curry powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cumin seeds
- 60 ml (¼ cup) apricot jam
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) finely grated fresh ginger
- 125 ml (½ cup) water
- 60 ml (¼ cup) white wine vinegar
- 1 kg beef rump or sirloin, cut into cubes
- kebab sticks
- 24-30 soft dried Turkish apricots
- fresh lemon or bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) avocado or olive oil for frying
- 2 ripe Gem® avocados, quartered and thickly sliced
- ½ cucumber, quartered and thinly sliced
- 6-8 Peppadews®, roughly torn
- 1-2 large handfuls fresh coriander leaves
- Beer bread: Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Grease and line a 1,5 litre bread tin, or any other shape or sized tins. Place dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir in the cheese, thyme and Peppadews®. Add the oil, beer and water and stir to form a batter. Don’t over mix.
- Spoon into the bread tin and sprinkle the seeds on top. Bake for 30-40 minutes for larger breads or 20-25 minutes for small breads, until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Sosaties: Mix the spices, jam, ginger, water and vinegar in a large bowl. Add the meat and stir through until well coated. Marinate for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Skewer the meat onto kebab sticks with apricots and lemon or bay leaves. Season to taste. Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry sosaties on all sides until golden brown and cooked. Alternatively braai over medium coals.
- Avocado salad: Combine all the salad ingredients and serve with the sosaties and fresh bread. Drizzle with a dash of avocao or olive oil, if preferred.
- Lamb will also be delicious in this recipe.
- If Turkish apricots are not available, use ordinary dried apricots. Soak them for a while in hot Rooibos tea, if necessary.