Tasty avocado soup the entire family will enjoy.
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
30ml (2 tablespoons) flour
50ml (1 cup) warm milk
50ml (3 cups) chicken stock
2 ripe avocados, mashed
Salt and freshly- ground black pepper
Chopped chives to garnish
1. Melt butter in sauce pan and gently sauté the onion and green pepper until soft.
2. Remove from heat, stir in the flour and gradually stir in the milk.
3. Return to heat and bring to the boil.
4. Add the chicken stock, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Blend a little of the hot soup with the mashed avocado. Stir in the remaining soup and season to taste. Liquidise and chill.
6. Sprinkle with the chopped chives before serving.
7. Remove from the stove as soon as it is hot, as overheating causes the avocado to taste bitter.
8. Best served chilled but can be served hot.