Serves 4 – 6
A vegan meal doesn’t have to be boring and definitely not only consist of the side dishes or salads at the table. With the right combination of wholesome ingredients, you can enjoy a filling, nourishing meal, using plant-based proteins like avocado and seeds. The fresh herbs, mustard and lemon is delicious with this bowl full of green veggies, bulgar wheat and creamy avo.
250 ml (1 cup) uncooked bulgar wheat
250 ml (1 cup) fresh or frozen peas
10 ml (2 tsp) Westfalia Lemon Flavoured Avocado Oil
125 g tenderstem broccoli
60 ml (¼ cup) each coarsely torn Italian parsley and mint leaves
5-6 radishes, thinly sliced
2-3 avocados, halved and thinly sliced
150 ml sunflower seeds, toasted (see tip)
handful micro herbs
75 ml (5 tbsp) Westfalia Plain Avocado Oil
15 ml (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
5 ml (1 tsp) Djion mustard
10 ml (2 tsp) finely grated lemon rind
10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
15 ml (1 tbsp) each chopped fresh Italian parsley and mint
salt and pepper to taste
1. Salad: Place bulgar wheat and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Add 625 ml (2½ cups) water, cover with a lid and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until cooked and fluffy. Drain well and rinse with cold water.
3. Dressing: Mix all the ingredients together and season to taste. Stir the dressing into the cooked bulgar wheat and allow bulgar to cool down.
4. Place peas in a shallow dish and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for 1 minute. Drain and rinse well.
5. Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry broccoli on all sides, until light golden brown and cooked, but still crunchy. Remove from the pan.
6. Stir peas and coarsely torn herbs into the bulgar wheat. Spoon bulgar wheat mixture onto a serving platter or bowl.
7. Arrange the broccoli, radishes and avo on top. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and micro herbs and serve as a light vegetarian or vegan meal or as a side dish.
1. Toast sunflower seeds in a dry frying pan, without any oil, over a medium heat. Toss the pan regularly to toast evenly, until golden brown. Take care, as they can burn easily.
2. Feta, goat’s cheese or ricotta will be delicious in this salad. Or choose a vegan cheese alternative.