Serves 4 – 6
The dressing of a salad is often the one thing that can turn ‘ordinary’ into ‘special’ and this well-known classic is a good example. A Caesar salad is delicious as a light meal or serve it as a starter or add some chicken and fresh avocado to make it more filling. The dressing is perfect with other green veggies, a basic green salad or spread it on your favourite sandwich. Any of the new Westfalia Mayonnaises in the range, will be an ideal base for the dressing.
15 ml (1 tbsp) Westfalia Plain or Lemon Flavoured Avocado Oil
4 chicken fillets
salt and pepper
30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
½ medium sized loaf of ciabatta, roughly torn into small chunks
15 ml (1 tbsp) Westfalia Plain or Garlic Flavoured Avocado Oil
1-2 small heads cos lettuce, washed and lightly patted dry
1-2 fresh avocados, sliced
100-125 g pecorino or parmesan cheese, broken into chunks
lemon wedges or slices for serving
125 ml (½ cup) Westfalia Avocado Oil or Macadamia Oil Mayonnaise
80 ml (⅓ cup) sour cream
25 ml (5 tsp) creamed horseradish
10 ml (2 tsp) Westfalia Garlic Flavoured Avocado Oil
80 ml (⅓ cup) finely grated pecorino or parmesan cheese
4-5 drops Worcestershire sauce or to taste
1. Salad: Preheat oven to 200 °C.
2. Heat plain or lemon-flavoured avocado oil over a medium heat in a frying pan. Fry chicken fillets on both sides until light golden brown.
3. Reduce heat, season chicken to taste and add lemon juice to the pan. Cover with a lid and simmer for only 5-7 minutes. The fillets should be cooked, but still juicy.
4. Remove chicken from the pan, allow to cool and shred into pieces. Toss in any left-over pan-juices.
5. Meanwhile, place bread in a mixing bowl. Pour over the plain or garlic-flavoured oil and toss until well coated. Place on a lined baking tray.
6. Toast for 8-10 minutes or until just until golden brown. Toss once during the toasting time – take care not to burn the bread as it browns very quickly.
7. Salad dressing: Mix all the ingredients together and season to taste.
8. Roughly tear lettuce and place on a large serving platter or individual bowls or plates. Add the shredded chicken with the rest of the salad ingredients and serve with dollops of the dressing, lemon wedges or slices and a grind of black pepper.
1. Add tinned tuna instead of the chicken, if preferred.
2. Substitute horseradish with wholegrain mustard for a different flavour.