Makes 300 ml
Infuse Westfalia Plain and Garlic Flavoured Avocado Oil with aromatics, toasted sesame seeds, spring onions, ginger and fresh chillies. If you love condiments, you will be obsessed with this and the number of ways you can use the oil is endless. Enjoy the oil on Turkish eggs, over fresh avocado wedges or with potstickers or dumplings as a flavourful dipping sauce. Westfalia Avocado Oil is known for its high smoke point so although the oil is heated to prepare this recipe, it will retain its healthy goodness.
- 100 ml Westfalia Garlic Flavoured Avocado Oil
- 125 ml (½ cup) Westfalia Plain Avocado Oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sesame seeds, toasted (see tip)
- 1-2 fresh red chillies with the seeds, thinly sliced
- ½ star anise
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed to expose the seeds
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) coarsely grated fresh ginger
- 10 ml (2 tsp) paprika
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
- 2,5 ml (½ tsp) fennel seeds
- 3 strips lemon rind, made with a vegetable peeler, then cut into thinner strips
- Pour the avocado oils into a deep saucepan. Heat over a medium temperature until the oil just starts to ‘move’ and forms small bubbles.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a deep heat-proof bowl.
- Pour the warm oil evenly over all the ingredients – take care as the oil may splatter. Stir well to mix everything together and allow oil to cool down – this allows the oil to infuse.
- Pour into a sterilised glass jar and ensure that all the ingredients are covered with oil. Store in a cool dark place (see tip).
- Enjoy this flavour-bursting oil in any way you want. It’s typically drizzled over plain yoghurt with soft poached eggs, known as Turkish eggs. The oil is also delicious as a dipping sauce for potstickers or dumplings. Spoon over fresh avocado wedges or your favourite vegetables as a quick side dish. The oil can even be used as a marinade for fish, chicken, or meat. Or toss warm noodles into the oil before serving.
- Toasted sesame seeds: in a large frying pan, without any oil, toast sesame seeds over medium heat until golden brown. Take care as these can easily burn. Remove from pan and cool.
- If preferred, store the oil in the fridge but take note that the avocado oil will solidify in the fridge. This does not affect the oil and it will turn liquid within a few minutes at room temperature. Keep infused oil the fridge for up to one month.