Makes 16 brownies
If someone didn’t tell you that there is sweet potato, ground almonds and yes, fresh avocado in this brownie, you probably wouldn’t know it! It’s simply delicious.
- 250 ml (1 cup) cooked sweet potatoes (about 250 g, or 4 small-medium uncooked sweet potatoes)
- 1 large avocado
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2,5 ml (½ tsp) vanilla essence
- 100 ml soft brown sugar
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) Westfalia Plain Avocado Oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) good quality cocoa powder
- 125 ml (½ cup) ground almonds
- 50 g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and line a 20 x 20 cm baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend cooked sweet potato and avocado until smooth, using a stick blender. Alternatively mash with a fork.
- Using an electric beater or hand beater beat the blended sweet potato and avocado with the eggs, vanilla, sugar and avocado oil until well combined.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa over the wet ingredients. Fold in the almonds until well blended. Stir in the chocolate.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking tray, smooth on top and bake for 30 minutes or until baked through.
- Remove from oven and place tray on a cooling rack. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack to cool completely. Cut into squares.
- Enjoy as a dessert or sweet treat with coffee or serve the brownies with a scoop of your favourite ice cream, like vanilla or coffee.
- Enjoy the brownies within a day or two. Keep refrigerated.