Makes 30 fish cakes
The delicate combination of fresh avocado with Lemon-Flavoured Avocado Oil is perfect with these small fish cakes. Enjoy them hot or at room temperature as a meal, pack them in a lunch box or serve them as snacks when you entertain.
500g fresh hake fillets
2 strips lemon rind
1 bay leaf
2 potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked
15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
60ml (¼ cup) chopped fresh Italian parsley
60ml (¼ cup) chopped fresh chives
1 egg, beaten
125ml (½ cup) cake flour
salt and pepper to taste
125ml (½ cup) dried breadcrumbs
45ml (3 tbsp) Westfalia Plain Avocado Oil for frying
Crushed avo dip
2 avocados, cubed
20ml (4 tsp) Westfalia Lemon-Flavoured Avocado Oil
rocket leaves and lemon wedges to serve
1. Place fish, water, lemon rind, bay leaf and peppercorns in a saucepan. Heat to a gentle simmer over a low to medium heat with a lid on, for 5-8 minutes or until the fish is just cooked. Drain and allow the fish to cool. Flake fish and remove any bones and skin.
2. Drain potatoes and sweet potatoes well and mash with a potato masher. Add fish, lemon juice, herbs, egg and flour. Season to taste and mix until well combined.
3. Season breadcrumbs to taste. Shape mixture into small fish cakes and coat on all sides with the breadcrumbs.
4. Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry fish cakes on both sides until golden brown. Keep warm and repeat with continue frying the remaining fish cakes.
5. Crushed avo dip: Place avo in a bowl and add oil. Crush lightly with a fork and mix gently. Season with pepper. Serve with fish cakes, rocket and lemon wedges.
For a quicker version, substitute hake with 3 tins of tuna, drained and leave out the first step of the method. Or use 400g smoked snoek.