Serves 4 – 6
A healthy summer salad that will refresh and delight.
100 g broccoli, cut into small florets
2 small papayas, halved and seeded
1 avocado, halved and pitted
1 large handful each rocket and baby lettuce
1 slice feta or Danish feta, crumbled
60 ml (¼ cup) pumpkin seeds, toasted (see tip)
30 ml (2 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon-flavoured or plain avocado oil
black pepper to taste
1. Place broccoli in a shallow dish and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for a few minutes, until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Using a spoon, scoop out chunks of papaya and avocado – an ice cream scoop works well.
3. Place rocket and salad leaves on a large salad platter and top with feta, broccoli and scoops of papaya and avocado. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top.
4. Mix vinegar and avocado oil and season with black pepper. Drizzle over the salad and serve immediately.
1. Toast pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan for a few minutes until lightly toasted. Take care not to burn them.
2. For a peppery flavour, crush 5 ml (1 tsp) rinsed papaya seeds and add to the dressing.
3. Goat’s or blue cheese will be delicious in this recipe.
4. For a more filling meal, add a protein of your choice to this salad. Cooked chicken or pork, peppered mackerel or even smoked trout will work well.