Makes about 250 ml or serves 4
Guacamole is often associated with Mexican flavours, but it is so versatile that it works well with just about any flavour profile. Stir in some typical South African ingredients, like corn, curry powder and Peppadews® and enjoy as part of a platter with biltong, veggies and tortillas to dip.
1 corn on the cob
2 ripe avocados, peeled
1 ripe tomato, diced
30 ml (2 tbsp) sliced Peppadews®
15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon or lime juice or to taste
¼ small red onion, finely diced (see tip)
1 small green or red chilli, finely chopped (seeded, if preferred)
5 ml (1 tsp) mild curry powder or more to taste
20 ml (4 tsp) each chopped fresh coriander, mint and Italian parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the corn on the cob in a small saucepan with about 2 cm of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until just cooked. Allow to cool and cut kernels from the cob.
2. Coarsely mash the avocados and stir in the corn with the rest of the ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Serve as part of a snack platter with fresh veggies, biltong and tortillas to dip. Spread it on toast or a sandwich. Enjoy with pitas, wraps or nachos. Spoon over egg dishes or enjoy as part of any meal.
1. Pour boiling water over the onions for a milder onion flavour. Allow to stand for a few minutes and drain well. Allow to cool before adding to the guacamole.
2. Serve guacamole with a drizzle of Westfalia Plain, Lemon or Garlic Flavoured Avocado Oil for extra flavour. The oil will also help to slow down discolouration.