The food truck scene in California is world renowned. This slow-cooked pork becomes tender and full of flavour and perfect with crunchy cabbage and a velvety avocado sauce with more cubes of Gem® avocados.
800 g – 1,2 kg pork shoulder on the bone
2 onions, finely chopped
2 large carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
30 ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
30 ml (2 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
20 ml (4 tsp) cumin seeds
1 x 330 ml can or bottle beer
125 ml (½ cup) water
salt and pepper to taste
125 ml (½ cup) sour cream
2 ripe GEM® avocados, cubed
20 small soft tacos, heated according to the packaging or in a dry pan
½ baby red cabbage, shredded
large handful fresh coriander leaves and extra avocado to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C. Place pork in a large ovenproof dish, with a lid, and place onions, carrots, celery and garlic around the meat. Combine sugar, vinegar, cumin, beer and water and pour over the meat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid or foil and slow-roast in the oven for 3-3½ hours or until the meat falls of the bone. Remove the meat and place the pan juices on the stove over a medium heat.
- Gently simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced and thickened. Meanwhile, shred the meat and remove any bones and excess fat. Return to the pan juices and mix well. Keep warm.
- Place sour cream, one of the avocados and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Blend with a stick blender until smooth.
- Spread some of the avocado sauce onto each taco and top with pork, cabbage and fresh coriander. Add extra dollops of avocado sauce and avo cubes and serve immediately.