Serves 4 – 6
Creamy GEM® avocados perfectly complement this traditional dish of a spicy tomato sauce and eggs. Enjoy it for any meal of the day.
45 ml (3 tbsp) avocado or olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 medium brinjal, quartered and sliced in wedges
1 small red chilli, seeded and chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp) cumin seeds
50 ml tomato paste
2,5-5 ml (½-1 tsp) cayenne pepper or to taste
15 ml (1 tbsp) paprika
2 x 410 g tins chopped tomatoes
3 bay leaves
2-3 star anise
salt and pepper to taste
100 g goat’s cheese or 1-2 slices feta, coarsely crumbled
2 ripe GEM® avocados
handful fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1. Heat 15 ml of the oil over a medium heat in a large frying pan. Sauté onion, pepper and garlic until soft. Add brinjal, chilli and cumin seeds and sauté for a few minutes.
2. Stir in the tomato paste, cayenne pepper and paprika and sauté until the tomato paste has thickened slightly. Add tomatoes, bay leaves and star anise, reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for another 10 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste.
3. Make 6-8 openings in the sauce and divide the rest of the oil between these openings.
4. Crack an egg into each opening (see tip). Sprinkle cheese into the sauce and simmer with a lid for 5-10 minutes or until the yolks are cooked to your preference.
5. Cut one of the avocados into cubes and mix with the parsley. Slice the remaining avocado and serve the avo on the shakshuka with warm crusty bread.
1. Crack the eggs, one at a time, into a small jug or cup, and then pour into the opening in the sauce. This reduces the chance of egg shells falling into the sauce or the yolk breaking.
2. The sauce can be made in advance and reheated before adding the eggs.
3. If an ovenproof pan is used, the eggs can be cooked under the grill to speed up the poaching.