Serves 4 – 6
When you think of snoek, you think sweet potatoes. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you’ll never forget the avo again! Fresh thyme and mustard seeds combined with the typical apricot jam marinade is always a winner with a snoek braai.
45 ml (3 tbsp) Westfalia Lemon Flavoured Avocado Oil
30 ml (2 tbsp) apricot jam
10 ml (2 tsp) mustard seeds
15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh thyme
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1,2 kg whole snoek or line fish, head removed and butterflied
2 avocados, thinly sliced
extra sprigs of thyme
lemon wedges to serve
1. Mix oil, jam, mustard seeds, thyme and lemon rind. Season to taste and brush over the snoek.
2. Braai snoek over medium coals, skin side down, for 15-20 minutes or until almost cooked. Turn over and braai on the other side for a few minutes or until just golden. Take care not to burn or overcook the fish, as it may be dry. Fish flakes easily when it is cooked, but should not be dry. Remove fish from the coals before it is completely cooked – it continues to cook for a minute or two after it is taken off the heat.
3. Place fish on a platter, cover with avocado and sprinkle with thyme and a grind of pepper.
4. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and slow roasted sweet potatoes.
1. Grill snoek in the oven: Preheat the oven to 200 ˚C and then turn on the grill element. Grill fish for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through – follow the guidelines as above.
2. If only the Plain Avocado Oil is available, add the juice of 1 lemon to the oil mixture.