Serves 8 – 10
There’s more to guacamole than serving it as a dip. Comforting bowls of hearty soups are perfect for colder weather and so are avos. Have you ever thought of combining the two? Creamy guacamole and spicy, aromatic butternut soup is just the thing to warm you up.
2kg butternut, peeled and cubed
6-8 leeks, sliced
10ml (2 tsp) cumin seeds
2 cinnamon sticks
60ml (¼ cup) Westfalia Garlic- or Chilli-Flavoured Avocado Oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 x 410g tins chickpeas, drained but keep the liquid
2 litres (8 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
20ml (4 tsp) curry powder
1-2 x 200g tubs Westfalia Spicy Guacamole
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Place butternut, leeks, cumin seeds and cinnamon sticks on a large mixing bowl. Add oil, season with salt and pepper and toss well, until coated.
2. Roast veggies on a large baking tray for 30 minutes or until just cooked. Add chickpeas and mix through. Roast for another 10 minutes.
3. Place ⅔ of the veggies and chickpeas into a large pot with the liquid from the chickpea tin, stock and curry powder. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove cinnamon sticks and blend with a stick blender until smooth. Stir in remaining veggies and chickpeas and heat through.
5. Season to taste and serve hot with big dollops of guacamole.
1. If the soup is too thick to your taste, add more stock to thin it out slightly.
2. The Westfalia Plain Guacamole will also be delicious in this soup.
3. Remember, the guacamole makes the soup quite filling and can easily replace the usual slice of bread, especially with this thick soup of butternut and chickpeas.